OUR HISTORY

     Chapel-by-the-Sea began as a mission and ministry of Immanuel Baptist Church on January 25, 1948 with only 48 charter members.  The original meeting place for this fierce and determined flock was located at Fort Screven in the vacated Post Exchange(PX) building.  the first pastor was Rev. R.C. Johnson.  The members of this small church had been given a greater vision.  Lots were were purchased on Butler Avenue for a permanent home.  Christmas Eve, 1961 was the first time a worship service was held as the new buildings began to take shape.  November 22, 1966 saw the completion and celebration of the new vestibule as well as the ground breaking for the new annex, which was completed  and dedicated on September 11, 1988.  

    Many dedicated men, women and children through out the years have struggled and sacrificed to help build up a church as well as a building for the glory of God.

    January 28, 2018 became Heritage Day at /chapel b the sea as we celebrated 70 years of service to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Cjhrist

     The congregation of Chapel and its pastor are excited and are looking forward to the many ways that this small church on an island can continue to lift up the name of Jesus.

                                                                                To God be the Glory

Roll Call of Pastors

 

David C. Laughner

1992-Present

Norman R. Ferrell

1984-1992

Byron Twigg

1980-1983

Luther E. Burton, Jr. 

1975-1979

Robert E. Connely

1972-1974

James R. Rogers

1970-1971

James Carr

1969-1970

Cecil G. Mitchum

1966-1969

Truman A. Moore

1964-1965

Dale Brown

1960-1963

Louis Stokes

1957-1959

Walter Barfield

1955-1957

G. Reid Smith

1953-1955

Pat Quattlebaum

1952-1953

Luther Adams

1950-1951

Richard C. Johnson

1948-1949

Picture1.png