Anonymous    Sign Up   or   Sign In  
Chapel by the Sea
Baptist Church
811 Butler Avenue
Tybee Island, GA 31328

Honor Roll of Pastor's
David C. Laughner
1992 - Present
Norman R. Ferrell
Byron Twigg
Luther E. Burton, Jr.
Robert E. Connely
James R. Rogers
James Carr
Cecil G. Mitchum
Truman A. Moore
Dale Brown
Louis Stokes
Walter Barfield
G. Reid Smith
Pat Quattlebaum
Luther Adams
Richard C. Johnson

Our History

The lyrical name of Chapel by the Sea was adopted at the same time the church was constituted on January 25, 1948. On that day forty-eight people signed as charter members.

Chapel by the Sea began as a mission of Immanuel Baptist Church of Savannah, pastored by Rev. R. C. Johnson, who was called as pastor of the newly organized chapel.

The old vacated Post Exchange (PX) building in Ft. Screven was rented, and became our first chapel home.

CBTS's Old Post Exchange Building 1948

Lots were purchased on Butler Avenue for our permanent facilities. On Christmas Eve in 1961 we worshipped and celebrated in the newly completed "phase one" of our "three-phase" building program.

November 22, 1966 was a day of dual celebration-dedication of the new vestibule and groundbreaking for the new annex, which was completed and dedicated on September 11, 1988. As of December 31, 1994, we are debt free!

The journey from the old PX building to our present facilities has been one for uplifting Jesus Christ, and accomplished only through God's grace and some hard struggles and sacrifices by some very dedicated men, women, and children.

On January 25, 1998, we celebrated 50 years of ministry. Our golden jubilee is depicted in the following quilt which currently hangs within our chapel:

CBTS's Golden Jubilee Quilt

The Rev. David C. Laughner is our present pastor and under-shepherd. God continues to bless Chapel by the Sea and we praise and glorify our God and Savior for this.

Chapel by the Sea (2009)

Chapel by the Sea Baptist Church
811 Butler Avenue (Corner of Butler Ave and 9th St.)
Tybee Island, GA 31328
(912) 786-4647