The lyrical name of Chapel by the Sea was adopted at the same time
the church was constituted on January 25, 1948. On that day forty-eight people signed
as charter members.
Chapel by the Sea began as a mission of Immanuel Baptist Church
of Savannah, pastored by Rev. R. C. Johnson, who was called as pastor of the newly
The old vacated Post Exchange (PX) building in Ft. Screven was rented, and became
our first chapel home.
Lots were purchased on Butler Avenue for our permanent facilities. On Christmas
Eve in 1961 we worshipped and celebrated in the newly completed "phase one" of our
"three-phase" building program.
November 22, 1966 was a day of dual celebration-dedication of the new vestibule
and groundbreaking for the new annex, which was completed and dedicated on September
11, 1988. As of December 31, 1994, we are debt free!
The journey from the old PX building to our present facilities has been one for
uplifting Jesus Christ, and accomplished only through God's grace and some hard
struggles and sacrifices by some very dedicated men, women, and children.
On January 25, 1998, we celebrated 50 years of ministry. Our golden jubilee is depicted
in the following quilt which currently hangs within our chapel:
The Rev. David C. Laughner is our present
pastor and under-shepherd. God continues to bless Chapel by the Sea and we
praise and glorify our God and Savior for this.
Chapel by the Sea Baptist Church
811 Butler Avenue (Corner of Butler Ave and 9th St.)
Tybee Island, GA 31328